Jody Davis, Ph.D.
820 W Franklin, rm 205
PhD (2000), University of North Carolina
Website: Dr. Davis' Teaching and Research
I have three research areas: close relationships, conservation psychology, and educational psychology. My first research interest is examining processes related to relationship maintenance, such as interpersonal respect, forgiveness, and attitude alignment. My second research interest is examining antecedents and consequences of felt commitment to the natural environment. My third research interest is examining the psychology of teaching and learning.
- Might forgiving an offense by your partner increase or restore how meaningful you feel your life is?
- What leads people to perceive greater interdependence with the environment? How does their commitment to the environment predict pro-environmental behavior?
- How good are we at predicting our future happiness or sadness regarding hurtful offenses in our romantic relationships?
- Would you prefer to explore a modern art museum or wilderness trail by yourself or with your romantic partner? Your level of attachment anxiety or avoidance may predict your preference!
Davis, J. L., Le, B., Coy, A. E., Rickert, J., Regan, B., & Ridgeway, K. (2015). Commitment to the environment: The role of subjective norms in college and community samples. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 45, 568-583.
Reid, C. A., Davis, J. L., & Green, J. D. (2013). The power of change: Interpersonal attraction as a function of attitude similarity and attitude alignment. Journal of Social Psychology, 153, 700-719.
Davis, J. L., Le, B., & Coy, A. C. (2011). Building a model of commitment to the environment to predict ecological behavior and willingness to sacrifice. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 31, 257-265.
Davis, J. L.., Burnette, J. L., Allison, S. T., & Stone, H. (2011). Against the odds: Academic underdogs benefit from incremental theories. Social Psychology of Education, 14, 341-346.
Davis, J. L., Green, J. D., & Reed, A. (2009). Interdependence with the environment: Commitment, interconnectedness, and environmental behavior. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 29, 173-180.
- Full publication list [PDF]
- Interpersonal Relations (online and face-to-face), undergraduate level
- Social Psychology (online and face-to-face), undergraduate level
- Practicum in the Teaching of College Psychology, graduate level
- Outstanding Teaching Award, VCU Psychology Department, 2014
- Outstanding Teaching Award, VCU Psychology Department, 2011