Dr. Robin Everhart
808 W Franklin, rm 207
Assistant Professor (tenure-track)
Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Virginia
PhD (2010), Syracuse University
Web site: Everhart Lab
My program of research is in child health psychology, with an emphasis on community-based research and incorporating a family systems approach. I am primarily interested in understanding how families effectively manage childhood chronic conditions (e.g., asthma) within the context of urban and cultural stressors. My research incorporates a focus on quality of life (QOL), health disparities, and family-based models of care. I am leading a community needs assessment in the Richmond area that will inform the development of a larger clinical trial to reduce pediatric asthma disparities. In maintaining my broader interest in child health psychology and families, I have also published and presented research on adherence in pediatric cystic fibrosis. I currently serve as the Cystic Fibrosis Mental Health Coordinator in the Division of Pulmonary Medicine, VCU Department of Pediatrics. Finally, I have research interests in improving student outcomes, such as empathy, morality, and professionalism, through service-learning. I have published, presented, and led a workshop on teaching tools to improve empathy among undergraduate service-learning students.
- How can clinicians promote effective asthma management and better asthma control among adolescents with asthma?
- How are family/culturally-based beliefs about asthma, caregiver quality of life, and emergency department use associated in pediatric asthma?
- Ethnic differences in asthma-related quality of life suggest that Latino caregivers may be experiencing a greater level of burden related to their child's asthma than non-Latino white caregivers.
Everhart, R. S.,Miadich, S. A., Leibach, G. G., Borschuk, A. P., & Koinis-Mitchell, D. (2016). Acculturation and quality of life in urban, African American caregivers of children with asthma. Journal of Asthma. Advance online publication. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2016.1167904
Everhart, R. S., Fedele, D. A., Miadich, S. A., & Koinis-Mitchell, D. (2015). Caregiver quality of life in pediatric asthma: Caregiver beliefs and concerns about medications and emergency department use. Clinical Pediatrics, 54, 249-256.
Everhart, R. S., Kopel, S.J., Esteban, C.A., McQuaid, E.L., Klein, R.B., McCue, C., & Koinis-Mitchell, D. (2014). Allergic rhinitis quality of life in urban children with asthma. Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, 112, 365-370.e1.
Everhart, R. S., Fiese, B. F., Smyth, J. M., Borschuk, A., & Anbar, R. (2014). Family functioning and treatment adherence in children and adolescents with cystic fibrosis. Pediatric Allergy, Immunology, and Pulmonology, 27, 82-86.
Everhart, R. S., Koinis-Mitchell, D., Friedman, D., Kopel, S., Canino, G., Fritz, G., & McQuaid, E. L. (2014). Pediatric asthma management within Latino and non-Latino White families. Families, Systems, & Health, 32, 167-175.
- Full publication list [PDF]
- Child Health Psychology, graduate level
- Child Health Psychology, undergraduate level
- Human Services Fieldwork (Service Learning), undergraduate level
- Mentoring Children at Risk, undergraduate level
- Psychological Tests and Measurement, undergraduate level
Families of Richmond, VA Study Extension (FoR-VA-X). Co-Principal Investigator (with M. Winter). 7/01/2016-12/31/2017. VCU Presidential Research Quest Fund.
Implementation of the Depression and Anxiety Guidelines: Award for A Mental Health Coordinator. Psychologist (Schechter, PI). 5/10/2016-12/31/2018. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. CMHC162.
Project UPLIFT to Reduce Anxiety and Depression in CF Patients. Psychologist/ Co-Investigator (Schechter, PI). 7/01/2016-3/31/2018. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. SCHECH15A0.
A Community-Engaged Approach to Reducing Pediatric Asthma Disparities in Richmond. Principal Investigator. 9/10/15-8/31/16. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). U34 HL130759.
Using Ecological Momentary Assessment to Examine Caregiver Burden Related to Pediatric Asthma in Urban Families. Principal Investigator. 1/01/14-12/31/14. Society of Pediatric Psychology, Targeted Research Grant.
Ecological Momentary Assessment stress question response formats: An experimental investigation. Co-Investigator (Principal Investigator, K. Heron). Social Science Research Institute Grant, Pennsylvania State University.
Caregiver Quality of Life in Pediatric Asthma: Family and Cultural Predictors. Principal Investigator (D. Koinis-Mitchell, Sponsor). 2010-2012. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). F32 HL104889.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, VCU Department of Psychology, 2015
- Service-Learning Travel Award, 2015
- VCU Service-Learning Faculty Fellow, 2014-2016
- American Psychological Association, Convention Travel Award for Early Career Professionals, 2013
- American Thoracic Society Travel Award, 2012
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Traineeship Award, 2009
- Drs. Marcia Winter and Robin Everhart receive VCU Presidential Research Quest Fund Award
- Robin Everhart receives National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute research grant