Academic Advising

At Psychology Undergraduate Advising, we empower you to take ownership of your college experience while offering support, resources and information. 

PSYUGRAD advises all psychology sophomores, juniors and seniors. Freshmen psychology majors are advised through University Academic Advising. Our advisers assist with:

  • Career/educational planning
  • Navigating university procedures, appeals processes, rules and regulations
  • Course selection
  • On-time progress toward the degree
  • Research internship and service learning placement assistance
  • Planning for graduate school and application preparation 

We encourage you to visit PSYUGRAD advising at least once a semester to discuss questions about degree requirements, course selection, graduation checks and other academic matters.

Advising Hours

  • Monday - 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • Tuesday - 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • Wednesday - 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • Thursday - 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
  • Friday - 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Evening and in-person appointments are available upon request.

We are currently not offering drop-in advising.

Changing Your Major to Psychology

To change your major to psychology, follow these steps:

  1. Submit a change of major form to declare
  2. Watch an online orientation video about the major
  3. If you'd like to meet with a PSYC advisor, email to request an appointment. An appointment is not required for change of major approval.

Major changes made through the add/drop period will apply toward the current semester. Major changes made after the add/drop period are effective for the following fall or spring semester, and changes made during the summer session are effective for the following fall semester.

If you wish to change your major back to psychology, you do not have to complete the change of major process again. An advisor will submit the form on your behalf.

Override Policy


The deadline to withdraw from any class is listed in each semester's VCU Academic Calendar. If you have a hold on your registration, you must contact Records and Registration at to request a withdrawal.

We recommend that you talk with your instructor prior to withdrawing from a course. Also, if you're receiving financial aid and withdrawing from a course drops you below full-time status or violates a contract you signed with financial aid for a "satisfactory academic progress appeal," you need to talk with your financial aid counselor about any possible ramifications. You may also want to make sure there are no ramifications with your health insurance if you fall below full-time status. Non-U.S. citizens and non-U.S. residents should talk with the Office of International Education's Immigration Services prior to withdrawing from a course.

Students who anticipate graduating this term and who are withdrawing from a course may want to confirm with their adviser that this will not change their timeline for graduation.